It’s been forever, I know. I’ve missed this platform but #SurvivingRKelly has brought me out of writing retirement. I originally planned on skipping the R. Kelly docu-series altogether because we know what he is at this point. The cult story came out nearly 2 years ago and that was 20 years after he married Aaliyah at age 15 but the social media discussions were so widely varied, I got curious.
The documentary presents so many issues which deserve further examination but I want to focus on the narrative about the “fast/fass girl” angle. In my part of the African-American community, fast was literally the worst thing you could be or be perceived to be as a young girl. In short, a “fast” girl is a girl who is a sexual being. If you’re unfamiliar with the term, just imagine a less sophisticated but way more problematic version of slut-shaming. I’ve been slut-shamed as an adult and accused of being “fast” as a child. Being accused of being fast was way, way, way worse. Continue reading
I hope you had a great weekend. As I was watching LL Cool J’s episode of Next Chapter I saw a commercial for Cissy Houston’s upcoming episode. I have only one request. Can we please leave Whitney alone? This is starting to be too much. Well, it was too much when the family did that messy ass show only 3 months after Whitney passed away. Aside from the show, last week Wendy Williams reported that Cissy Houston has written a book that will be released this week. I’m not here for this book. I’m not here for the family doing more interviews anytime in the near future and I’m certainly not here for another season of the Houstons.
At this point what do we need to know that we don’t already know? It seems like the main characters have had ample opportunities to give us their story. After Cissy Houston’s interview I propose that a moratorium be placed on Whitney Houston interviews. We’ve heard Bobby Brown’s side. We’ve heard from the brother and sister in law. We’re about to hear from Cissy Houston. Bobby Kristina told us her side during the few lucid moments she had on the show. Hell, even Bobby Brown’s sister got a check back in the day when she sold her story to the tabloids then did interviews under the guise of wanting Whitney to get help. If my memory serves me correctly, even a couple members of New Edition gave their 2 cents on Bobby & Whitney. At this point the only person we haven’t heard from on the topic of Whitney Houston is Ray-J; thankfully.
We know Whitney Houston was arguably one of the best singers to ever live. We know Whitney Houston is our favorite singer’s favorite singer. We know how she tragically lost her life too soon. We know Bobby Kristina is 1 new prescription away from an episode of Intervention. We know Whitney & Bobby were crazy (and high) in love. I know, I’d just like for Whitney to be allowed to rest in peace without every few months a book, reality show, episode of Next Chapter or whatever else is being dreamed up to claim we’re being told something we haven’t heard in the previous book, show or interview.
So Lovers, what do you think? Have we heard enough about the rise and tragic fall of Whitney Houston? Comment below and let me know!
No one told me The Houstons was on yesterday. That fact tells me y’all are done with the Houstons. I’m done with them too. Let’s discuss why!
- Krissy: I’m not gonna go too hard on Krissy because it’s clear she needs help. I don’t know what kinda weed or pills Krissy is on but it’s clear she’s not with us. I think it’s just a matter of time before we see Krissy on “Celebrity Rehab with Dr. Drew.” I just want Krissy to get her head and wig in order.
- Nick: I have so many questions about Nick. Here are just a few. Where is his real family? Why is he getting brother/sister tattoos with the girl he calls his fiancee? When is he coming out the closet?
- Raya: It’s clear from Raya’s interviews that she wants a spin off and I’m not here for it.
- Pat: I think Pat means well but she’s not dealing with reality. Krissy isn’t checking for her. My main wishes for Aunt Pat are that she use Dr. Miracle’s Temple & Nape grease, get a new makeup artist and stops all the fronting.
- Uncle Ray & Uncle Gary: Both the uncles give me “I used to smoke crack but now I just drink.”
- Sissy: Ms. Sissy Houston gives me life. I love the fact she knows how to text. She gives me ol’ school Black grandmother which resonates with me because I have an ol’ school Black grandmother.
I like a messy show just like the rest of you but The Houstons are a little bit too broken for the show to be a guilty pleasure. Overall, I think The Houstons need to reevaluate because this show is not going to cut it.
What do you think about The Houstons? Comment below and let me know!